Google Analytics is a pool of data about your website. The data and information available on Google Analytics can be utilized meticulously for better marketing strategies and targeting audiences. Google Analytics assists in analyzing your website traffic and extracting the relevant data so that the marketers can quickly assess the impact of the current strategy and create future strategies.
What is Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a potent and impactful tool for businesses, bloggers, and brands. It provides an insight into the website’s visitors, where they come from, and what they do on the website. A vast range of data and information can be extracted from the website that can be used to improve business development and marketing strategies.
Google Analytics for marketers
The data is segregated into metrics and dimensions through Google analytics. The quantitative measurements of any data are called metrics, while the categorical attributes are called dimensions. The metric and dimensions have a scope at hit level, session level, and user level.
Following four sections organize the Google Analytics dashboard:
This section assists you in tracking the actions of the customers and keeping a check on it if the customers are performing the same action that pleases you and is profitable to your business. It defines the funnels for the customers so that they serve the critical actions efficiently. This is important because if the customers are encouraged by the website to visit those pages and perform such actions, that increases the entity’s productivity.
This is a vital metric as it studies the behavior of the customer on your website. This includes how much time they spend on your website, the pages they visit, what other activities they perform, and so on. This section lets you understand the user experience on your website. You can also study the impact and take customer engagement and retention measures with such information in hand.
This metric is the most useful one as it shows you the source from which the customer is diverted to your website. There are numerous channels such as advertisements, emails, social media, organic traffic, and many more through which the customers are redirected towards your website. With the thorough study of this matrix, the marketers can analyze and monitor the source of traffic and the impact of the use of various channels. Comparison between Facebook, Instagram, the impact of email campaigns, and SEO efficiency are all tracked and monitored under this section.
These metrics assist in knowing your customer base. Information such as the demography, device technology, retention, location, and other information is extracted through these metrics. Thus, the marketers are also able to understand how the marketing impacts different user segments and what further improvements are required to attract more customers.
Google Analytics Vs Digital marketing strategies
There is a lot of data and information that can be extracted through Google analytics. But not all the information is relevant to every business and every person and entity. There are several digital marketing certification courses that the business houses look into their employees to get the required boost into their customers, sales, and other aspects.
Some popular metrics are typically applicable to almost all entities. Some of such metrics are summarized below:
- Number of users and sessions
- The number of times the users are engaged with the website actively is called a session. Therefore these metrics provide the data about such unique users who have actively visited the website over a period of time.
- The session data and the access user can be tracked in Audience -> Overview. The dropdown under the primary graph provides the data for sessions or users.
- Coarse grain analytics of the impact of the efforts of marketing strategies can be directly seen through these metrics. When a study is conducted for a while, you can also analyze the effects of your campaign. Also, you get to understand the improvements to be made in the future and prospective strategies.
Average session duration
- This metric provides that best websites for Southern Maryland Association of Realtors members and active time a user spends on the website’s particular page in a single session. The average session duration can be accessed under Audience -> Overview. Click on the first graph under the dropdown menu, and the entire data is available. You get a very high level of proxy through these metrics for user engagement with the website.
Average pages per session
- It is the number of pages the user checks or is actively engaged in a particular session. This session can also be accessed in the dropdown menu under the Audience -> Overview section. It is essential to study the number of pages a user actively interacts with during a single session. This is important as it provides the data for the impact of content or structure of funnels on the page views and session duration.
The ratio of new to returning visitors
- This is another tool that assists marketers in deciding upon their digital marketing strategies. As with the data pooled in these metrics, it is possible to analyze the effect of marketing to attract new users and bring back the old users again to the website. An upward surge in the lifetime value is known with the increase in returning users. Similarly, It indicates growth with the increase in new users. These metrics can be accessed under Audience -> Overview. Then click on the tab to the right of the dropdown menu stating “ Select a metric.”
- Bounce rate metrics can be accessed from the dropdown menu under the Audience -> Overview section. This metric implies the number of users who leave the website after visiting a single page. A higher bounce rate implies a technical error in the website. The content doesn’t satiate the user requirement on the website. There are no calls to action or internal links on the website, poor marketing campaigns, and other factors.
- It is a severe issue if the bounce rate of your website is high. In such cases, you must seek digital marketing pg courses and resolve the issue as early as possible.
Paid Vs Organic sessions
- The users directed from the non-paid search engine results page to the website are called organic search traffic. Opposite to it, users directed through the paid advertisements on the SERP are called paid search traffic. This data can be extracted from the ALL Traffic Section under the channels dropdown list. These metrics are important to understand the effect and impact of SEO strategies and advertising strategies. Also, it is full in comparison to the other contents available on the SERP, especially Google, to improve the efficacy.
There are several analytics and metrics that need to be studied when digitally marketing a brand or a project. It includes metrics from Google Analytics, Google ads, Search Console Queries, Newsletter opens, Average time on page, top queries on search, Top 10 landing pages, AdSense revenue, goal conversion rates, etc.
Analyzing the website data and the metrics prove helpful only when you pool the relevant data to your industry. Google Analytics also has some limitations, but the same can be overcome with proper use.